Meet Your Senator
Get to know Valerie, what she stands for, and what her dreams are for our state!
As a lifelong resident, State Senator Valerie Foushee understands the hopes and needs of Orange and Chatham Country residents and is always willing to listen to learn more. Let her know what is on your mind as she continues to fight for what is right in the North Carolina Senate.
Valerie Foushee is a life-long resident of Orange County and a 1974 graduate of Chapel Hill High School. She is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she received Bachelor of Arts degrees in Political Science and African and Afro-American Studies. She is also a 2005 Leadership Triangle Goodman Fellow. She is married to Stan Foushee, retired Fire Marshal for the Town of Carrboro and a Deacon at First Baptist Church. They have two sons, Stanley II and Terrence, and one grandson, Stanley III.
Valerie retired from the Chapel Hill Police Department after 21 years of service. There she supervised two units and administered an $11 million budget.
She was elected to the Board of Education for the Chapel Hill– Carrboro City Schools in 1997, and re-elected to a second term in 2001. She served as Chair from 2001-2003. In November 2004, Valerie was one of eight School Board members selected to the All State School Board by the North Carolina School Boards Association. In November of 2004, she became the first African-American female elected to the Orange County Board of Commissioners. She was re-elected in November of 2008 and served as Chair from 2008 – 2010.
- Board of Trustees, Durham Technical Community College (2008-2012)
- President, NC Association of Black County Officials (2010-2012)
- UNC Board of Visitors (2011-2015)
- Board Chair, Marian Jackson Center (2011-2014)
- NC Association of County Commissioners (NCACC) Board of Directors (2011-2012)
- Chair, NCACC Healthy Living Task Force (2012)
- NAACP (Chapel Hill-Carrboro Branch)
- Orange County Social Services, Board of Directors (2004-2012)
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (2009-2012)
- Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau Board of Directors (2008-2012)
- Board of Directors, Boys and Girls Club of Eastern Piedmont
- Mentor, Blue Ribbon Mentor-Advocate
Other Personal Involvement Includes
- Member of First Baptist Church, Past Church School Superintendent
- First Baptist Church Trustee Board and Board of Deaconesses
- Member of the Gospel Choir
- Randolph Chapter #185 Order of the Eastern Star
- Member of the Triangle Park Chapter, the Links, Inc.